Top 10 Gadgets Students Need for Success in Higher Education
Some critics suggest that the advent of modern technology has hindered the student’s ability to stay focused on his or her studies. However, there are multiple technological tools that are too often overlooked by critics and students alike. These tools have tremendous potential to enhance learning in any academic environment, so follow this list that compiles the top ten most useful gadgets for education.
1. Google Drive. One of Google’s latest innovations, Google Drive takes cloud computing to the next level for students on the go. The feature offers 5 GB of data space to be shared with your PC or Mac computer, Android, and soon your iPhone and iPad. For students who are constantly running from class to work to the library and so on, Google Drive ensures notes, papers, and other important school documents are fully accessible and updated at all times.
2. E-Readers. It’s a given that higher education requires a great deal of reading, but this doesn’t mean that students have to lug ten pounds of books all over campus just to keep up with their studies. With the convenience of electronic readers, such as the Kindle and the Nook, students can squeeze in a quick study session virtually anywhere.
3. Livescribe Pulse. For students who jot down a lot of pictorial notes in class, including diagrams, charts, and other non-verbal devices, Livescribe Pulse is a great solution for organizing this information on your computer in an effective way. This paper-based computing platform not only translates drawings and writings onto your computer, but even comes with a voice-recording smartpen that translates audio notes.
4. Smartphone Apps. Most modern students own smartphones because they realize the increasing value that educational apps can bring to their learning experiences. Smartphone apps like Evernote, Vocabology, iStudiez Pro, and gFlash+ bring tremendous on-the-go studying opportunities to students of all kinds. Many school-based apps can also help students stay connected with updates in their online classes as well.
5. Tablets. I know what you’re thinking: With a laptop and a smartphone, isn’t a tablet a bit superfluous? This same sentiment was echoed when the tablet was first introduced, but its consistent popularity in the tech world has proven that tablets do possess unique value for its users. Students who want to maintain access to the Internet, apps and important files for school can do so without having to bring their heavy and expensive laptops to class each time.
6. USB Thumb Drive. Although cloud computing has made storing and sharing files much easier for students, it’s always safe to have a USB thumb drive on hand to have a good back-up of important notes, papers, and other educational files. This drive saves you from having to print your ten-page paper out on your own printer by simply storing it onto the device and taking it to the lab.
7. Snooze-Proof Alarm Clock. Eight hours of sleep is a luxury many college students can’t afford with back-to-back exams and research papers due. With a snooze-proof alarm clock, like the Nanda Home Clocky, students can make sure they don’t sleep through an early morning study session or get a late start to class.
8. Noise-Cancelling Headphones. Since many students have to study in noisy dorm rooms, coffee shops, quads and other buzzing areas around campus, noise-cancelling headphones are essential for focusing. These headphones can be especially useful for students whose classes involve audio-recorded lectures and educational videos.
9. Digital Voice Recorder. Whether you just thought of the perfect opening line for your research paper or your professor talks too fast for your scribing abilities, a digital voice recorder is crucial when attempting to keep up with your studies from a variety of different mediums.
10. Scientific Calculator. Even English majors will have to take an advanced math course at some point in their education, and success in these classes depends largely on the use of scientific calculators. Although they may be a costly investment for struggling college students, they’ll become your best friend for Calculus, Statistics, Trigonometry and more.
Although it may be fair to say that students can become distracted by many modern gadgets, there are plenty out there that can just as easily enhance learning for the average busy college student. With just the ten apps listed, you can become more prepared for the fast-paced and information-saturated world of higher education.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.